Here it is Saturday Night already, again, where does the time go??? We received this report today from Dad's hospice nurse and I thought I would insert in my journal.
Hi I went down to see duke today for the first time since we had spoken at the nursing home. All the rest of the hospice staff had been keeping me informed of how well he had been doing but he has started to decline again in the past three days, today he was up in the living room watching tv when I arrived but he was kind of listless and confused (not sure if he remembered me) did not answer questions about date, year, or where he was at and he believed it was February. He denied and pain or discomfort. His heart rate was 56 which is slow for him and his blood pressure was also low. He drank some 7up and asked to go to bed, Nancy and I transferred him to the wheelchair and took him back to his bed and got him changed. Nancy is doing a fine job caring for Duke but it has to be emotionally draining to witness this decline, Its hard enough for staff that are paid to care for people but it is really hard physically and emotionally for family members who are doing it 24-7. God bless and thank you for allowing us to assist in caring for Duke Gary
Todd and I went out on the lake this afternoon and to dinner tonight with Christopher, Scotty, Mindi and Matt and had wonderful caregivers, but we were a bit anxious to get back as dad just hasn't been good. As I was changing dad getting him ready for bed he still knows who I am, even called me Nancy insted of Ikie, which is who I have been for the last several weeks. He isn't drinking or eatting near as much, maybe a quarter cup of applesauce a day, and the only fluids are what we put in a straw and drop in his mouth or sponge into his mouth. He just doesn't desire anything in his mouth, and we don't push it. I am struggling a bit on going tomorrow to Merrillville to meet Lisa for our mother/daughter get a way night but everyone I talk with is telling me to go, so am still planning on going as of tonight. I know dad would want me to go so that is the real truth of me going. Scotty and Todd will care for dad perfectly I am sure, and I will only be 1 1/2 hour away if they do need me, so all is well with that decision.
I just want to say that the blessings I have received since dad has been here is beyond words, and I thank God for the opportunity to care for him, and for support from my husband, brothers, children and friends to pray us through each day. Until next time, blessings to all who read this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment